Having a headache is annoying and sometimes it is difficult for us to avoid. Mostly when we are under pressure, headaches appeared automatically. If it gets worse, we might faint due to the pain we feel.
A headache is a condition of mild to severe pain in the head. It can also attack our upper back or neck. There are different types of headache, but most of the time headaches are brought on by stress, too long in front of computer, noise or even lack of water. Sometimes a tall glass of water can ease a headache.
One of the main causes of headache is tension in the muscles of the neck, scalp and jaw. We usually deal with it by getting some sleep or taking an over-the counter aspirin to relieve our pain. Rest can relieve the stress that causes some headaches but obviously, we cannot sleep at the office or at the mall. In addition, we might run out of aspirin when headaches strike.
No to worry! There are some easy ways to handle headaches and we can do it anywhere with head massage. Massage is the practice of applying pressure or vibration to the soft tissues of the body, to heal injury, relieve psychological stress, manage pain, improve circulation and relieve tension.
When we suffer from an headache, we can help ourselves with self-massage. It is simple and everybody can do it, either at work or home.
Here are four easy ways in massage to relieve headache.
2. Eyes to Nose Massage – Using the thumb, go along the underside of the eyebrows (along the bone on top of eye socket). Feel where this bone meets the bridge of your nose and eyes and find a point where there is a small indentation. Very gentle pressure, press your thumbs into the points. You can do it four times by holding and press that area for 10 seconds in each press.
3. Neck Massage — Massage a point you can feel by moving the middle fingers of your hands to the back of your head to the base of your skull. Specially, where the top of your neck meets the base of the skull. Massage for a few minutes using finger tips in a gentle circular movement.
4. Scalp Massage – Let the palms of your hands gently massage your scalp on the top of your skull for a minute or so. Slide your fingers into your hair so you can feel the scalp loosen up against the skull. Gently massage the scalp with the tips of your fingers to loosen tension and stimulate the blood flow. Be gentle and kind.
Once you have done all those massages, start taking deep breaths. Lift your shoulders towards your ears for five to 10 seconds to relieve the remaining pain, and then let them drop back down into their natural position. This also has an effect of getting more oxygen into the lungs as you lift your shoulders to relieve the tension and spasms in the neck and shoulder muscles.
You will feel better when you can do this a couple of times. Your massage will relieve your headache and your head will feel less weighty. Don’t forget to drink water.
- Headache and Neck Pain (everydayhealth.com)
- How to Cure Headaches (coupleconsult.wordpress.com)
- The Benefits of Massage Therapy (letsmovethebody.wordpress.com)
- What is Indian Head Massage? (caringtouchspa.com)
- Alternative Medicine as Headache Treatment (everydayhealth.com)