There’s always been acuriosity of what’s out there in the alternative world including the alternative therapies. Many of them have helped over the years and will continue to do so, all in the hope to make things better for body, mind and spirit. And it has.
What may work for one may not work for another, so the message is to keep trying until you find something that works for you.
Many say they’ve tried everything. What is everything? What it actually boils down to could be counted on one hand. It’s worthwhile to keep searching, you may find that your world expands in a most amazing way by the making of new friendships and picking up useful skills for your ‘self-healing’ tool-kit.
So what to do when you’ve reached a cross-road and need some direction or could do with some healing?
Below are some basic points that have helped to lift the spirit and with practice will also help lift yours:
1. Meditation or prayer! Meditation/prayer is one of the greatest self healing tools available and costs nothing except a little of your time! There are many techniques out there, find one that suits you and begin. Put some soothing, uplifting music on and spend time in quiet contemplation, it can soothe your soul and reconnect you with the highest aspect of yourself.
2. Aromatherapy and Essential Oils. (and pleasant surroundings, basically) Rejuvenate your spirit through blending a selection of essential oils together in an aromatherapy oil burner. As you relax close your eyes and amble through the aromas. You can literally get away for a short time yet still be in the same place with the little ones playing or sleeping in the next room. An alternative is where you actually change your surroundings – go to a different place where the surroundings are a tonic. A chic hotel foyer close by, a friends house, the library, anywhere else where the ambiance is delicious and a delight. Soak it up – no guilt, like a good medicine. Perhaps invite a friend to share the tonic and a cuppa.
Aromatherapy oil recipe to help relax and sleep:
4 drops Jasmine
4 drops Rose
4 drops Neroli
3 drops Lavender
3 drops Bergamot
Smells divine! Sleep like a baby but anxiety and stress disappears, and feels like the weight of the world has lifted from my shoulders!
3. Breathe! Stand with feet a shoulder-length apart. Take 3 slow and deep breaths using the diaphragm muscles. Breathe in through the nose, and breathe out through slightly parted lips. As you do these imagine as you’re inhaling you are filling every cell in your body, from your diaphragm up to the top of your head. Notice how much taller, straighter and stronger you feel.
4. Help someone. When you help someone else the kickbacks are awesome. Beneficial ambivalence and reassurance inside yourself supersede any help you can give to others. Its a double blessing and you come out the winner.
5. Be in the Present Moment. Take a few deep breaths and focus totally on this moment, right now. Don’t miss life or watch as it goes by, hop on and enjoy the ride. It really is a roller coaster but some folks pay good money to ride. If you’re reading a book or magazine, or even this article, totally focus on the words and take in their meaning. There is only you and this article now in the present moment. If you’re in the workplace, focus totally on the task at hand, and only this task, and what you must do in order to complete it. Nothing else matters except you and the task at hand.
5. Set an intention. Be on the lookout for something new and useful, Set yourintention on what it is your after.
For example, I may want to find a book that will give me answers in regards to directing me to another healing modality or skill. I then meditate on this intention, give it a timeframe then open my heart to it. Lo and behold I will have a book in my hand in no time at all! I love the power of intention – I also use intention for getting a parking space when I go shopping!
These days I rarely get sick and when I do and have a medical checkup, doctors tell me I’m actually very healthy (surely they can find something so I can get some sympathy around here!) which also includes blood test results.
I still do sadness and unhappiness well (I’m still human) though neither lasts long whereas in the past it would last many days sometimes weeks. What lasts much longer is a peaceful state.
When using the 5 points above, my spirit lifts and life once again becomes more peaceful and joyful.